- Number of Servings: Makes 6 servings
- Total Recipe Time: 3-3-1/2 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck pot roast (arm, shoulder or blade), about 2-1/2 pounds
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 can (14 to 14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen vegetable stew mixture (such as potatoes, carrots, celery and onion)
Cooking instructions for Yankee Beef Pot Roast
1 - Combine flour, salt and pepper. Lightly coat beef in 2 tablespoons of the flour mixture. Heat oil in large stockpot over medium heat until hot. Place beef pot roast in stockpot; brown evenly. Pour off drippings.
2 - Combine beef broth, red wine, thyme and remaining flour mixture; add to stockpot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2 hours. Add vegetables to stockpot; continue simmering 30 to 45 minutes or until pot roast and vegetables are fork-tender.
3 - Remove pot roast and vegetables; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking liquid, if necessary.
4 - Carve pot roast into thin slices. Serve with vegetables and gravy.